[ale] Ubuntu 12.10 desktop will not fit on a CD

Wolf Halton wolf.halton at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 08:05:24 EST 2013

It would be cool to have a server version that fit on a CD, but not
critical.  A DVD fits in the same physical space as a CD, if you actually
want a physical disc at all.  These days, I rarely use physical media,
since most of the machines I provision are virtual machines.  I haven't
actually bought a CD-R for a long time, and a partial pack of 25 DVDs that
I got in 2011 as surplus, when a friend was moving still has 5 unused DVDs
in it.

On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 10:46 PM, David Tomaschik
<david at systemoverlord.com>wrote:

> This size change was announced with Quantal Beta 1:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2012-September/000161.html
>
> For what it's worth, there is NO WAY K9copy or any other app can make this
> ISO fit on a CD-R.  There are 700 megabytes available on CD-Rs, the ISOs
> are 753MB.  While there are certainly options for dealing with video
> (recompressing) that option doesn't exist with software.  (You could, of
> course, remaster with fewer packages, etc., but then it's not the same ISO.)
>

> On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 7:18 PM, Scott Castaline <skotchman at gmail.com>wrote:

>> Check out K9copy. I know that I was able to copy a DL DVD to a 4.7GB
>> DVD, It may have an option to do the same for CDs.
>>

>> On 01/06/2013 03:43 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
>> > I just tried to burn an Ubuntu 12.10 desktop iso onto a CD and
>> > discovered it won't fit.
>> >
>> > If you want to burn it, you'll have to: 1) use a dvd 2) use a
>> > memory stick 3) use a mini iso which loads most stuff from the net
>> >
>> > Just thought I'd pass it along.  I guess I'll try some of those new
>> > JVC DVDs I bought for video capture and haven't had a chance to
>> > use.
>> >

>> http://askubuntu.com/questions/203601/how-do-i-burn-the-12-10-790mb-iso-to-a-cd
>> >
>> >  Sincerely,
>> >
>> > Ron
>> >

>> > --
>> >
>> > Sent from my Android Acer A500 tablet with bluetooth keyboard and
>> > K-9 Mail. Please excuse my potential brevity.
>> >
>> > (To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying
>> > to former messages prior to 03/31/12 with my personal address will
>> > go to the wrong address.  Please send all personal correspondence
>> > to the new address.)
>> >
>> > (PS - If you email me and don't get a quick response, you might
>> > want to call on the phone.  I get about 300 emails per day from
>> > alternate energy mailing lists and such.  I don't always see new
>> > email messages very quickly.)
>> >
>> > Ron Frazier 770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message. linuxdude AT
>> > techstarship.com

> David Tomaschik
> http://systemoverlord.com
> david at systemoverlord.com