[ale] [OT] need a GOOD cassette tape player fast

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Tue Aug 27 11:15:22 EDT 2013

Hi Jim,

Yes.  I'd like to do a swap if that's acceptable to you.  My wife may
kill me for bringing more space occupying stuff into the house.  It's
full of her stuff and mine.  But, I have a special need.  Below, I'm
quoting the stats on the ham radio again as a reminder.  The market
doesn't think it's worth the $ 500 I was asking.  But, I think it's
worth $ 300 at least.  I'll swap for what you think is fair, assuming
it's reasonable.  Keep in mind that I've never transmitted on this radio
since I don't have the license.  I was told that it worked when I bought
it years ago.  I can demonstrate it receiving though.

If you'd like to proceed, contact me on my cell - ph at

404
---
431
---
5472

and we'll set up a meeting.

(trying to confuse the spam scraper bots)

Sincerely,

Ron

----------------------------

ham radio info from prior message

----- A Kenwood TS-930S HF transceiver.
----- SN: 5080179

This radio is a beautiful machine from a design standpoint.  It's all
solid state, but not computerized.  You get to control everything by
hand with lots of dials and switches.  The tuning knob is a pleasure to
turn.  It is built like a tank and weighs about 40 lb.  It has a built
in power supply and built in monitor speaker and built in carrying
handle.  The label says it has a built in antenna tuner, but since I
don't have a license to transmit, I cannot verify that.  As far as I
know, almost everything works fine.  I have tested the receiver by
tuning in some HF broadcasts.  Any serious buyer is welcome to test the
unit.  If you want to transmit, you'll have to have the appropriate
license for HF.  The owner's manual is included.

Here are some links with info about this model:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/236%3Fehamsid%3D43d404e46b9d1a23d63bd1ac2f9cf5ce

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/ts930s.html

Here are images of my radio:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9879631/ts-930s-01.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9879631/ts-930s-02.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9879631/ts-930s-03.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9879631/ts-930s-04.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9879631/ts-930s-05.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9879631/ts-930s-06.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9879631/ts-930s-07.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9879631/ts-930s-08.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9879631/ts-930s-09.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9879631/ts-930s-10.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9879631/ts-930s-11.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9879631/ts-930s-12.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9879631/ts-930s-13.png

The images make the display appear blank, but that's just because of the
camera flash.  Check out image 8 for a functional display picture.

Here are the only issues I'm aware of:

- The back light for the power meter, if it had one, does not work.
- The left rear fan, looking from the rear, as shown in image 9, does
not work.
- Status of the transmitter is unknown, but I was told it worked when I
bought it.
- The power cable may not be the original cable.  You should check that
it has adequate capacity for transmitting.
- Only the radio is included, no mic, and no external speaker.

--------------------------

On 8/27/2013 10:14 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> None of the stack has been used in several years which is why it was
> removed from the entertainment stand (make room for game box stuff).
> It was working fine when we last used it.
>
> The tape deck was last used a long time ago and it worked flawlessly.
> It's an individual unit with dual tapes and can record from one to the
> other or from an external input source (turntable, radio, etc). The
> tape system has very few hours of use as my wife and I went mostly
> from LP to CD with very little cassette in between.
>
> Want to swap an older ham radio for a full stack of older but decent
> stereo gear? I have a bag of cables as well. System was acquired for
> it's surround sound capability. Jurassic Park in full surround sound
> scared the bejeezus out of my cat :-) When the T-Rex roared the poor
> cat vanished and hid for an hour.
>

> On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 9:53 AM, Ron Frazier (ALE)
> <atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
> <mailto:atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Jim,
>
>     Intriguing.
>
>     Is the cassette deck:
>
>     - operated within the last 6 months and operational
>     - free standing - semi portable or part of a large monolithic module
>
>     Where is it located?
>
>     Are you still interested in that ham radio that I had?  Maybe we
>     can do some bartering.
>
>     Sincerely,
>
>     Ron
>

>     Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com <mailto:jim.kinney at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     >I have a Yamaha dual deck and amp, speakers, 5 disk CD player stack.
>     >$150.
>     >I can throw in a turntable with unknown needle status. This stack is
>     >analog
>     >only (except for CD player) and incompatible with my TV/DVD/roku
>     stack.

-snip-

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.