[ale] disk drive diagnostics nirvana - NOT - I have questions

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Tue Oct 23 15:44:42 EDT 2012

On 10/23/2012 9:17 AM, mike at trausch.us wrote:
> On 10/22/2012 06:12 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:

<snip>
>> The first thing I do when I get a new drive is write
>> it with random data then Spinrite it about 6 times to thoroughly burn it
>> in.  I then follow up with one such procedure every 4 - 6 months.
>>
> Save yourself a lot of time, and instead, use Linux mdraid and a pair of
> drives.  The drives will be scrubbed every week, then, and errors will
> be detected and sent via network very quickly.
>
> You could also use Reed-Solomon error correction layered on top of a
> block device, format that with a filesystem, and then not have to worry
> about it, since errors will then be corrected by the filesystem.  Add a
> cron job to scrub weekly and mail warnings and errors off to you, and
> boom---automatic, provably robust recovery from hard drive failures.
> And it's a lot easier than your manual solution.
>
> 	--- Mike

Hi Mike T,

I appreciate the information you've shared here.  I like the idea of
raid and automation for error detection and recovery.  I hope I can put
things like this to use at some point.  Unfortunately, I cannot do this
right now for several reasons.  At the moment, it's way above my skill
level with Linux.  That's not to say I can't learn.  One of the big
reasons I'm running Linux is to learn things.  Three of the machines I
maintain are laptops with only room for one drive.  My Dad's machine is
a small desktop with no expansion room.  So, I cannot really do raid
unless I stick it in a NAS and then it would be inaccessible to the
laptops when they're not on the network.  Finally, I need to run Windows
much of the time because of the devices I attach to the PC's not
supported in Linux and the family members I deal with who are familiar
with Windows.  The other issues is that I don't have a huge budget for
equipment purchases.

All my own machines are dual boot with Ubuntu, and I often boot into it
for testing or learning something or, in this case, to run diagnostics
on hard drives.  I try to keep it set up so I can do most common things,
including web browsing, creating documents, or email, from either
system.  This has the advantage that, if one OS crashes, I can reboot
into the other to do work and troubleshoot.

Thanks again for the info, and I'm certainly keeping an archive of all
these ALE messages for the time when I might need this or that tidbit of
info.

Sincerely,

Ron

--

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)