[ale] disk drive diagnostics nirvana - NOT - I have questions

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Tue Oct 23 13:09:44 EDT 2012

On 10/23/2012 9:17 AM, mike at trausch.us wrote:
> On 10/22/2012 06:12 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
>
>>    Since the HDD
>> controller can usually only discover read / write problems when you
>> actually access the sector, I've developed a practice over the years to
>> read and write every sector on the hard drive a few times per year.
>>
>> If the sector
>> doesn't read, Spinrite uses advanced statistical algorithms to try up to
>> 2000 times to recover the data.
>>
> Not really.  It sends the same command over and over again, because it
> has no direct control of anything (it is, just like BIOS, just like the
> Linux kernel, only allowed to talk to the IDE/SATA controller, not to
> the drive directly).  It is therefore constrained by the controller!
>
> Anyway, that's all I'm going to say since SpinRite isn't what this
> thread is about.

Hi Mike T,

I also don't want to totally derail this thread.  However, according to
the documentation on Steve's website (as I recall), what you stated is
not correct.  According to him, SR flies the heads to the target sector
that's giving trouble many many times from different starting positions
and at different velocities (I think) which slightly change the
alignment when the heads stop.  SR reads the sector data, whether or not
the system is reporting that it has an error.  It saves all this data in
memory.  If it gets a good read, it relocates the data to a safe place.
If it cannot read the sector correctly after 2000 tries, which means no
other program likely would either, it does exhaustive statistical
analysis on the 2000 samples it has accumulated and extrapolates the
most likely contents of the sector and writes those to the disk.  Often,
this will recover all the sector's data.  Sometimes it recovers only
some of it correctly.  Sometimes, it recovers none, in which case, the
sector is marked as unrecoverable.  The point is, the data was
completely unreadable, and therefore totally lost by any other
conventional means.  Sometimes, even a partial recovery of data in the
sector to its original state is good enough to allow a non booting drive
to boot, or an unreadable file or folder to be read, which is probably
better than not having that item read at all.  I have personally had
this experience with a failing drive, where the drive was inaccessible,
and SR recovered it enough to allow me to boot it and get the data off,
then replace it.  Running SR periodically (or badblocks in non
destructive read write mode, I presume) will, hopefully, allow the
controller to find weak sectors and map them out before they become a
problem.  As far as I know, badblocks does not have the extensive data
recovery function in case the sector refuses to read by conventional
tactics.

By the way, the thread is about data reliability and HDD maintenance, so
this is still related.

Sincerely,

Ron

--

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)