[ale] does DUMP backup only the 'used' HD fraction, OR, the 'entire' HD, blank space and all ?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 23:05:21 EST 2012

dump ignores blank space. It's only concerned  with files.
Dump will not get the boot sector data.

The no label may just be a really old drive or a jumper is set wrong to
turn off LBA.

Note: it's not required for  full dump to reset the dump flags. You can
just ignore the flags with dump -level0

Master/slave: for performance needs, it;s best to have the source and
target drive on different ATA cables. If they share a cable as
master/slave, it will run at slightly less than 50% the dump speed as if
they were on different cables. It make no different which is master as long
as they are different if on the same cable.

I use rsync for this now. Dump is _so_ 1970's :-)

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 9:50 PM, Courtney Thomas <
courtneycthomas at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Greetings Again !
>
> I'm trying to archive a HD to a smaller drive using DUMP, and I'm OK if it
> only archives the written portion of the source drive, but if it
> requires that
> the 'blank' space also be included, then I guess I'll need to buy a
> larger drive.
>
> I'm aware of the chflags nodump capability which'd apparently permit
> omitting part of the source of this intended complete backup, i.e. dump
> -0.....
>
> What I seek is a full backup so that I can simply remove a failed drive,
> plug
> this one in, and run, essentially as I'm now doing with the source
> drive. I've
> got months of effort in putting together this drive and I'll shoot myself
> if
> I don't get it backed up before the inevitable occurs  :-)

> Also, the archive drive is a new, but older Seagate (never used), drive
> [ATA]
> which I've tested, block by block, [dd] without error, which partitions and
> formats without difficulty, but for unknown reasons, will not permit
> labeling.
> [R/W DMA error.] Please instruct how to handle this.

> Finally, does master/slave jumper matter here ?

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky

http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
*