[ale] irc server on intranet

chip chip.gwyn at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 12:51:26 EST 2012

We use an IRC server at my work.  It's great!  I like it SO much more
than just some Instant Messenger.  I like the social aspect of it.
Whenever I'm talking to a co-worker in a channel about a problem,
everyone else can see and chime in or just watch and learn.  You can
still have private communication between users but we find that
discussion in an open channel is really helpful.  Our NOC uses it too.
 Communication is super easy between everyone and the escalation point
people.  They can step in whenever needed, otherwise just watch things
come and go.  IRC is probably the most used way to communicate in our
organization, at least with the technical/operational folks.

It also helps people to socialize a bit, just discussing random things
about their lives and what not.

--chip

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Collin Pruitt <collin at collinp.com> wrote:
> On 2/28/2012 11:13 PM, Narahari 'n' Savitha wrote:
>> Friends:
>>
>> I would like to setup an IRC server on our intranet.  Has anyone in
>> this mailing list done it ?  Are there generic guidelines for this ?
>>
>> -Narahari
>>

> I like IRC. I still use it regularly as well, in addition to helping run
> a IRC network. However, IRC doesn't have much use unless you're planning
> on running a network similar to the ones that already exist (open,
> unmoderated), or you want to do some testing. There are better solutions
> for intranet communications. Take a look at Jabber, or Bonjour, or any
> of the many other solutions.
>
> If you're still determined to do this, then I could walk you through the
> steps off-list on setting up a IRC server of your flavor of choice
> (ircd-hybrid, Unreal, ircd-seven [what freenode runs], etc). It's not
> that it's especially hard, it's just that there's a lot of places where
> it could go wrong and IRC servers are *extremely* picky about that.

Just my $.02, your mileage may vary,  batteries not included, etc....