[ale] irc server on intranet

Collin Pruitt collin at collinp.com
Wed Feb 29 12:27:33 EST 2012

On 2/28/2012 11:13 PM, Narahari 'n' Savitha wrote:
> Friends:
>
> I would like to setup an IRC server on our intranet.  Has anyone in
> this mailing list done it ?  Are there generic guidelines for this ?
>
> -Narahari

I like IRC. I still use it regularly as well, in addition to helping run
a IRC network. However, IRC doesn't have much use unless you're planning
on running a network similar to the ones that already exist (open,
unmoderated), or you want to do some testing. There are better solutions
for intranet communications. Take a look at Jabber, or Bonjour, or any
of the many other solutions.

If you're still determined to do this, then I could walk you through the
steps off-list on setting up a IRC server of your flavor of choice
(ircd-hybrid, Unreal, ircd-seven [what freenode runs], etc). It's not
that it's especially hard, it's just that there's a lot of places where
it could go wrong and IRC servers are *extremely* picky about that.