[ale] OT: Who else plans to get a RaspberryPi?

Greg Clifton gccfof5 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 13:43:39 EST 2012

It is beyond my technical ability to build, but I was wondering if it could
be used to make an internet connected smart thermostat that could be run
off the power provided by the HVAC transformer and controlled remotely via
an android phone. It is cheap enough and power consumption is low enough,
that it will find tons of applications, but lacking a real time clock might
be a problem for a thermostat. Perhaps there is a better product for such a
purpose?

Conceptually, I would like to have a thermostat that would optimize the
function of my heat pump for both heating and cooling cycles according to
outdoor temps and indoor temps & humidity (i.e. raise the set-point during
the day to pull in as much heat as possible in winter or lower
the set-point early in the day before it gets so hot outside in summer or
kick on the AC when it is too humid inside even if the temp is within
tolerance) with the capability to adjust/override the settings from my
phone. Without spending hundreds of $ for the necessary hardware. Should be
simple, right?

GC