[ale] possibility of a non Android Linux tablet

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Thu Feb 23 20:42:00 EST 2012

Hi Michael T.,

I was wondering, what did you have to do to the Fire to get it to run
ICE?  And, are you still limited to Amazon's limited set of options, or
do you have the full Android Market?  I'm presuming you rooted the
device.  Are you using Cyanogen Mod 9?  If so, was it hard to do?  Can
you attach a keyboard to the Fire?

Sincerely,

Ron

On 2/22/2012 7:52 PM, Michael Trausch wrote:

> Ice Cream Sandwich on the Kindle Fire. I don't need all the bells and
> whistles.
>
> Only thing I would like is the ability to insert a SIM card and use a
> Bluetooth headset, and be able to have the tablet actually *be* the
> phone...
>
> --
> Sent from my Ice Cream Sandwich powered Kindle Fire!
> Pardon any typos...
>
> On Feb 22, 2012 5:50 PM, "Ron Frazier (ALE)"
> <atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com <mailto:atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com>>
> wrote:
>
>     Hi guys,
>
>     I just recently bought a Pandigital SuperNova tablet for $ 200
>     from Best
>     Buy, kept it a couple of days, and returned it.  I don't really have $
>     300 - $ 500 to spend on a tablet.  It's actually a really cool device,
>     with a 1 GHz processor, 512 MB of RAM, and 4 GB of shared storage.  It
>     has an 8" capacitive touch screen, SD card slot, USB host capability,
>     HDMI out, wifi, bluetooth, and dual cameras.  It's pretty snappy
>     to run
>     and plays video on Youtube well and displays web pages well when
>     you add
>     the Dolphin web browser.  I really liked it, BUT ...  I was really
>     annoyed by the fact that it is running Android Gingerbread 2.3, will
>     probably never be updated, and doesn't have the Android market place.
>     It has Getjar, and I installed Amazon market.  However, you still have
>     only about 1/10 the selection of applications that you would with the
>     Android market place.  I was particularly bothered by the fact that I
>     could not install Firefox, nor the Barnes and Noble Nook program
>     without
>     having access to the Android market place.  It has a built in BN app,
>     but it's not the same thing.  I could potentially root it and install
>     the Android market place, and it may be possible to install the
>     Android
>     market place without rooting it.  However, it would become more
>     obsolete
>     over time and possibly more subject to viruses.  Also, every time
>     there
>     was a firmware update from Pandigital, I would be worried about
>     the hack
>     failing.  In the end, I decided to return it.
>
>     I'm wondering if you guys know of any similarly priced
>     alternatives that
>     are running Android 3.2 Honeycomb or Android 4.x Ice Cream
>     Sandwich.  In
>     terms of screen size, I don't really need 10".  I think 8" is
>     about the
>     biggest thing I can thumb type on when it's in landscape mode.  It's
>     also a nice size to carry around, but still big enough to read the
>     print
>     on the screen without a microscope.
>
>     I was also disappointed in some ways with Android, although I
>     didn't get
> [...]

Ron Frazier

770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
linuxdude AT c3energy.com