[ale] grub rescue

Michael Campbell michael.campbell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 08:28:52 EST 2012

That depends largely on what you do.

As I mentioned, I'm a developer using IBM tools, and Oracle.  IBM's stuff
is java based, and is horribly bloaty and memory hungry.  When I'm testing
and running the apps I'm writing, it's doing a lot of (database) I/O.  When
I'm coding them, it's doing a lot of filesystem I/O compiling and such.

Windows I/O is pretty bad to begin with, and that's exacerbated on a VM
(and even more so when using a compressed NTFS filesystem, or using
VirtualBox's "shared folders" functionality).  So for me, there's a quite
noticeable speed difference when Windows is in a VM, even when I give it a
full 4G of RAM.

I'm not sure I get the "trust" issue; the problems I've seen on Windows
have been almost exclusively "bad user behavior" which can be done equally
on a VM or not, but undoubtedly my experiences and context are wildly
different from yours, so do what works for you of course.  =)

All that said I'm still amazed at the VM technology at all; no matter
what's being run as guest or host.   Everything mostly just works; I find
it all quite amazing.  Every day I find wonder at how far in the future I
live now, and what fantastic things my son will see in his lifetime.