[ale] grub rescue

Rich Faulkner rfaulkner at Tux86.org
Wed Feb 22 09:15:31 EST 2012

When I returned to Linux I tried dual booting 9.10 w/X64 but GRUB2 soon
got the better of me.  I've never really gotten the hang of it (but
haven't spent that much time with it either).  Having several HDD in
that former system; I left X64 on one disk (and a borked GRUB2) and
installed Fedora 12 on a separate HDD w/GRUB (something I was more
comfortable with).  Thus I got my Fedora installation running on a
separate (physical) disk and GRUB chain-loading X64 from the Windows
disk.  Then I set the BIOS to boot the GRUB disk and thus I washed my
hands of it and rarely booted into XP.  (My noob approach to a
workaround until such a time that I built a new machine).

New machine has now been in service for a long while and I'm running
ONLY 11.04 on it and am quite happy.  I do run a Virtualbox VM of XP for
some work that I do for a museum in Colorado in CorelDraw 10; but that's
about how far I am willing to let Windows run on my machines anymore.
Unfortunately, our studio requires baremetal installs of Windows for
hardware support to our specialized broadcast audio cards.  Digigram
doesn't have Linux drivers for their PCX924 cards thus we're stuck with
"Bill".  We at least keep them offline and do all online work with
Ubuntu boxes.

Do we have any good GRUB2 pros in the group?  Could be a good topic for
some of us at a monthly meeting.  Just a thought.....

Rich in Lilburn