[ale] Secure e-mail server

Matt Urbanski ur.matt at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 19:23:14 EST 2012

I run zimbra and can tell you all about it. I've run the open source versions and the commercial one.
Zimbra takes over your whole box, with a hodgepodge of different versions of things running on weird ports and with configuration files scattered all over the place. Think 2 instances of mysql, spamassasin, an openldap server, all kinds of stuff, very difficult to unravel when something goes wrong. Its a nightmare when you need to upgrade or update. If you have 2 servers running it, and not enough space for all your mailboxes on either one of them, when one goes down half your mailboxes are off the face of the earth, and you need an external mail spooler to get any kind of reliability.
So... In short, it beats running exchange.