[ale] grub rescue

John Pilman jcpilman at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 14:09:45 EST 2012

I am re-sending this because I don't think my last attempt at this
post was successful.  I apologize if you are receiving it twice.

I got in a hurry when my laptop was booting.  It dual boots Windows 7
and Ubuntu 10.10.  While
booting I bumped the keyboard and I think it started a Windows
Recovery partition.  I waited and then exited when presented with that
choice, now I get:
'error: no such partition'
grub rescue>

The ls command returns:
(hd0) (hd0,msdos5) (hd0,msdos4) (hd0,msdos3) (hd0,msdos2) (hd0,msdos1)

When I boot Ubuntu from a live USB and look at gparted I see:
/dev/sdb1  ntfs  PQMSERVICE                 13 GiB    diag
/dev/sdb2  ntfs  SYSTEM RESERVED   100 MiB    boot
/dev/sdb3  ntfs                                           94 GiB
/dev/sdb4  extended                                190 GiB
unallocated  unallocated                          185 GiB
/dev/sdb5  linux-swap                             5.86 GiB

I'm guessing my data is in the part marked unallocated.  Here's my question:
Since I installed Ubuntu with encryption, would I be better off trying
to mount that partition and look for my data or
would you suggest I try to recreate or resurrect grub and its associated table.

Also, I'm looking at trying 'testdisk' but the instructions tell you
to use the one for your OS.  I did not see specific instructions for
dual boot PCs.  Does anyone have a relevant hint here?