[ale] need more help, install new NTP, outside of repository

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Thu Feb 16 11:11:21 EST 2012

On Thu, 2012-02-16 at 00:56 -0500, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Thanks for the help thus far on the script file mentioned in the "help
> please getting script file to work" thread.  I'm going to have to come
> back to that.  However, I've decided to upgrade my NTP package before
> doing more experiments.  The one in the Ubuntu repositories is almost 2
> years old.  I uninstalled NTP and NTPDATE using the Synaptic package
> manager in Ubuntu 11.04.  I downloaded the latest production NTP package
> from ntp.org and extracted it to a folder in my home directory.  I
> looked at the instructions here:
>
> file:///home/ron/NTP%204-2-6p5/html/build.html
>
> and found this paragraph:
>
> QUOTE ON -->
>
> The first thing to do is uncompress the distribution and extract the
> source tree. In the distribution base directory use the ./configure
> command to perform an automatic configuration procedure. This command
> inspects the hardware and software environment and configures the build
> process accordingly. Use the make command to compile and link the
> distribution and the install command to install the executables by
> default in /usr/local/bin.
>
> <-- QUOTE OFF
>
> I issued the ./confgure command, then the make command, and everything
> looked fine.  Then I issued the install command, and I get this error:
>
> ron at asus-k52f-1:~/NTP 4-2-6p5$ install
> install: missing file operand
> Try `install --help' for more information.

Ah...  I'm pretty sure that's meant to be "make install" not "install".
The "install" command installs individual files, not whole packages.
It's used by "make install" to install the bits.

And just as a bit of advice, unless I'm doing code modifications on
packages I'm working on, even I stick to the distro packages.  Even
then, when I am doing custom mods I'll take the source packages and
build new rpm's (Fedora and RH) with the new sources and patches just to
maintain the package management system.  If there isn't some feature or
some peculiar patch you want or need, I would not go down this road.
Quite frankly, ntp has not changed all that much.  You could end up
introducing indetermanent problems that nobody can help you with.
You're really on you own when you do this.