[ale] need more help, install new NTP, outside of repository

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 05:49:36 EST 2012

Ron,

Sorry I can't be of more help, but here are some thoughts.

When you compile from source you get to learn a lot. Enjoy the process!
You'll have to configure NTP to start on it's own, the package manager
did that for you when you installed from a package. There are lots of
things package managers do and hiding the process is one of them.  :)

Also, clean out your your source tree and start over, keeping a log.

	make clean
	./configure > configure.log 2>&1
	make > make.log 2>&1
	install > install.log 2>&1

You get the picture. The configure and make logs may already exist, so
look for files created at the timestamp when you ran those commands.
Look for any errors in the logs.

Of course, you could also just "man install" and see that you forgot a
few required phrases.   :)

Leam