[ale] need more help, install new NTP, outside of repository

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Thu Feb 16 00:56:34 EST 2012

Hi guys,

Thanks for the help thus far on the script file mentioned in the "help
please getting script file to work" thread.  I'm going to have to come
back to that.  However, I've decided to upgrade my NTP package before
doing more experiments.  The one in the Ubuntu repositories is almost 2
years old.  I uninstalled NTP and NTPDATE using the Synaptic package
manager in Ubuntu 11.04.  I downloaded the latest production NTP package
from ntp.org and extracted it to a folder in my home directory.  I
looked at the instructions here:

file:///home/ron/NTP%204-2-6p5/html/build.html

and found this paragraph:

QUOTE ON -->

The first thing to do is uncompress the distribution and extract the
source tree. In the distribution base directory use the ./configure
command to perform an automatic configuration procedure. This command
inspects the hardware and software environment and configures the build
process accordingly. Use the make command to compile and link the
distribution and the install command to install the executables by
default in /usr/local/bin.

<-- QUOTE OFF

I issued the ./confgure command, then the make command, and everything
looked fine.  Then I issued the install command, and I get this error:

ron at asus-k52f-1:~/NTP 4-2-6p5$ install
install: missing file operand
Try `install --help' for more information.

Could someone tell me how to complete the NTP installation?  I know that
I need to put the ntp.conf in /etc, but I don't know how to make NTPD
start automatically on boot, unless the install process does this.  I
know that, when I installed previously from the package manager, it did
start automatically on boot.

As always, any help is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ron