[ale] help please getting script file to work

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Wed Feb 15 13:54:55 EST 2012

Hi all,

I need to put this script file on my desktop so I can double click it
after boot up to initialize my USB GPS.  I haven't studied shell scripts
and don't know the proper syntax to make it work.  The log_daemon_msg
seems to write on the screen in the /etc/init.d/ntp file, but doesn't
work here.  An even better approach would be to have these commands run
during initial ntpd startup at boot time, but I don't know how to do that.

# script file to stop ntpd, initialize the usb gps, then restart ntpd
# Ron Frazier - 2012-02-15

# stop ntpd
sudo "/etc/init.d/ntp stop"

# set up the com port
log_daemon_msg "Setting /dev/ttyUSB0 comm parameters."
sudo "stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 57600 igncr clocal -echo -ixon"

# set up link to /dev/gps5
log_daemon_msg "Creating link to /dev/gps5."
sudo "ln -T /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/gps5"

# restart ntpd
sudo "/etc/init.d/ntp start"

Any help is greatly appreciated.