[ale] OT: Where can I learn about microphones?

Fri Feb 10 14:51:02 EST 2012

I need to learn about microphones so that I can build some
teleconferencing kits. We have about a dozen different USB mics and
they all suck. Every meeting is full of complaints that the remote
attendees can't hear. I want analog mics and a mixing board. Probably
a USB digitizer. (I _might_ consider a USB mixing board if it is very
_very_ excellent.)

I want to consider many options:
1. single condensor mics
2. multiple condensor mics
3. stationary directional mics
4. human operated directional mics
5. robotic directional mic or mics - either voice tracking or IR baton
tracking (I may have to build that one)
6. several lavalier mics
7. any other voodoo

--