[ale] raid suggestions

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 09:36:12 EST 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 4:44 AM, Jim Lynch <ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com>wrote:

> On 02/09/2012 04:35 PM, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> > May or may not have true-HW-based RAID available.
> >
> > On 2/9/12 3:37 PM, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> >> Hardware based (for true RAID) because it doesn't require CPU cycles.

> Has the concern about the possibility of the hardware controller
> breaking and being out of production been eliminated?  At one time I
> recall the suggestion that using hardware raid was a bad idea because if
> the controller went OTL and there wasn't another available you'd get to
> start from scratch.  I believe this concern was with the controllers on
> the MB however.
>
> That of course can be alleviated by proper backups.  I always thought
> that was somewhat meaningless in a lot of cases 'cause I'd think many
> raid installations were to support a backup set of drives.  Not all, of
> course, but surely that's a common purpose for a raid set.

Even good hardware cards can fail. It's become better with modern raid
cards writing some data to the drives about configuration. However it still
is a huge SPoF waiting to happen. NOTHING beats the ability to pull out the
drives and put them into a different chassis entirely, point bios to the
boot drive and your're back up and running.

In fact, with software raid, it's easy to do a full backup by adding a
large hard drive as a single mirror device for a system.

> Jim.

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky

http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/