[ale] raid suggestions

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Fri Feb 10 04:44:38 EST 2012

On 02/09/2012 04:35 PM, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> May or may not have true-HW-based RAID available.
>
> On 2/9/12 3:37 PM, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
>> Hardware based (for true RAID) because it doesn't require CPU cycles.

Has the concern about the possibility of the hardware controller
breaking and being out of production been eliminated?  At one time I
recall the suggestion that using hardware raid was a bad idea because if
the controller went OTL and there wasn't another available you'd get to
start from scratch.  I believe this concern was with the controllers on
the MB however.

That of course can be alleviated by proper backups.  I always thought
that was somewhat meaningless in a lot of cases 'cause I'd think many
raid installations were to support a backup set of drives.  Not all, of
course, but surely that's a common purpose for a raid set.

Jim.