[ale] Linux install breaking windows?

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Thu Feb 9 17:44:43 EST 2012

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 17:26:54 -0500
JD <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:

> On 02/09/2012 12:51 PM, mike at trausch.us wrote:
> > Unless we're talking about some REALLY new hardware with USB 3,
> > there is *no* way on this planet I could actually work off of USB.
> > I'd rarely get anything done, as much I/O as I tend to need to do
> > in my work.
>
> I have a USB3 controller and it has "queuing issues" when multiple
> process attempt to use it.  For example, an 'ls' at the wrong time
> will lock up all reads and writes for 20+ seconds.

Have you tried other i/o schedulers?  Maybe something silly is
causing it to choose something ridiculous like the noop scheduler.

> OTOH, my laptop has an eSATA port which completely rocks.
> Performance similar to, if not faster than, the internal HDD.  eSATA
> rocks.

My gigantor laptop does happen to have a pair for 2.5 inch hard drive
bays, but I haven't dual booted since Windows 95.

I do have an esata port, but I can't imagine lugging an extra drive
around just to boot another operating system :)

Pat