[ale] Linux install breaking windows?

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Thu Feb 9 03:30:23 EST 2012

Hi James,

It really depends on the needs and desires of the user.  I've been dual
booting Ubuntu and Windows on 3 computers for over a year.  My hard
drive is partitioned as 1) NTFS  2) Linux EXT4  3) Linux Swap  4) NTFS
for shared data.  This works great for my purposes.  On a laptop, adding
another drive is not an option.  Virtualbox is a good solution, but,
there will always be a few things you can do with a native OS that you
cannot with a VM.  Performance in a VM will always be a bit slower.  The
Linux install running in a VM inside of Windows may not recognize and
have access to all the system devices properly.  Finally, since I keep
my Windows and Linux systems pretty much functionally identical for the
main applications I use, if one system gets hosed somehow, I can reboot
into the other and be back up and mostly running normally until I can
fix the problem.  I can even use the Linux system to troubleshoot
problems in the NTFS system, to a point.  I've been experimenting with
GPS usage for timing purposes with NTPD on Windows.  Also plan to do
that on Linux.  I understand from reading over on the NTP list that
running in a VM can inhibit the virtual OS's ability to keep time even
worse than the native OS.  So, I would say, to each his own multi OS
structure.

Sincerely,

Ron