[ale] Linux install breaking windows?

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Thu Feb 9 09:32:09 EST 2012

On 02/09/2012 08:32 AM, James Sumners wrote:
>> Now that VirtualBox supports full-screen, multiple-head, 3D accelerated
>> display, it is actually virtually transparent and significantly easier
>> to use than rebooting over and over again.

I stopped dual booting years ago and switched to virtualization. The last 4 yrs
or so, I've run my primary Linux desktop inside a VM under Windows. Initially,
stability was an issue, but it got better and better and better.  These days,
the hostOS gets rebooted monthly for _patch Tuesday_ and multiple Linux VMs are
up until I take them down for that exercise or a kernel patch is needed.

Performance is really good inside the VM for "productivity" apps.  I've played
with GPU accel under virtualbox. Last June, it would lockup the graphics( Unity
or Gnome3), but it got much better over the summer.  It was never "solid" in my
use. In the end, it wasn't worth the overhead just to have eye candy in a GUI.
I choose to run LXDE in both virtual and non-virtual environments. That decision
was made a few years ago after using XFCE and Gnome and KDE, and CDE and the
non-DE WMs. My next step will be back to fvwm2 if LXDE gets any more bloat.

If you need to run both Windows and Linux, take a look at using virtualization.
It will probably be easier and fit your needs.  It also removes the need to deal
with WiFi drivers under Linux.