[ale] Linux install breaking windows?

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 08:32:34 EST 2012

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007603%20600003273%204025&IsNodeId=1&name=%2425%20-%20%2450

>> My actual reccomendation in a case, as I think this is, where someone
>> just wants to dabble with Linux to start learning is to use a VM hosted
>> by their primary OS. VirtualBox is great, and you can install as many
>> distros as you have time and disk space for. Just switch to full screen
>> when you're using the VM so that you're not distracted by the host OS.
>
> Agreed.
>
> Now that VirtualBox supports full-screen, multiple-head, 3D accelerated
> display, it is actually virtually transparent and significantly easier
> to use than rebooting over and over again.
>
> Of course, the wrong type of person would go "nevermind this, it's kinda
> slower than I thought it would be" if they are running in a VM.

That same user is going to be even more annoyed by having to reboot to
use the alternate OS. After a day or two they won't even bother;
they'll just keep using Windows.

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/