[ale] I can see why RHEL people don't use Emacs...

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Wed Feb 8 18:00:47 EST 2012

On 02/08/2012 05:48 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> (stands and prepares for battle)
>
> EMACS requires a bazillion pieces to use on rhel because of it's (EMACS)
> design as a swiss-army-knife approach to system everything. In other
> distros, they hide all the pieces from you by just statically compiling
> in all the EMACS fluff bits.

Not true; at the very least, Debian and Ubuntu have an alternative build
that doesn't pull in GUI stuff.  (Granted, I haven't had the chance to
check if this is the case for CentOS yet.)

Emacs can be built very minimally and yet still be extremely powerful.
In fact, the GUI stuff is completely optional at build-time and
relatively new as far as Emacs features go.  Most everything is non-GUI
and comes with it in the form of LISP code (heck, these days it's
essentially a core written in C, with the most of the editor's logic
written in byte-compiled Emacs LISP itself).

> EMACS is for programmers whose systems never fail. Vi(m) is for admins
> and programmers who know better.

Emacs is for everybody.  System administrators, programmers, whoever.
Especially and particularly the lazy, like myself.  I do so very much
hate doing the same thing more than once, and I especially hate having
to worry about formatting code or performing repeated non-regexp
transformations on a region, a file, or a set of files... I only dislike
LISP slightly less than that.  ;-)

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”