[ale] semi OT - to SSD or not to SSD

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Thu Oct 27 20:53:04 EDT 2011

I found some further information I thought I'd share by Googling SSD
reliability.

This article investigates the issue:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-reliability-failure-rate,2923.html

And on page 7, at this link:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-reliability-failure-rate,2923-7.html

we find this quote:

<quote on>

Despite SLC-based drives accounting for only a fraction of the NAND
market, we have much more data on SLC-based SSDs than we do on those
using MLC technology. Even though our data set is one-twentieth the size
of previous studies on hard drives, our information starts to suggest
that SLC-based SSDs are no more reliable than SAS and SATA hard drives.

If you are a consumer, this has major implications. SSD makers have been
trying to emphasize that they're offering two major benefits: better
performance and better reliability. However, if the data on a SSD is no
safer than it is on a hard drive, then performance is the real reason
you’d want to explore solid-state storage.

<quote off>

I thought that was interesting. The article points out that SSD's may
tend to fail irrecoverably more than HDD's, from which data can often be
recovered after a failure.

Sincerely,

Ron

On 10/27/2011 7:46 PM, Ron Frazier wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In another recent thread, the subject of SSD and flash memory
> reliability came up, although that wasn't the title of the subject.  I
> want to explore that a bit.  In the other thread, I said I have
> personally seen failures in memory sticks, memory cards, a GPS that
> suddenly refused to work and refused initially to take a firmware
> update, and routers that occasionally flake out and need to have their
> firmware refreshed.

<snip>