[ale] semi OT - to SSD or not to SSD

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Thu Oct 27 19:46:33 EDT 2011

Hi all,

In another recent thread, the subject of SSD and flash memory
reliability came up, although that wasn't the title of the subject.  I
want to explore that a bit.  In the other thread, I said I have
personally seen failures in memory sticks, memory cards, a GPS that
suddenly refused to work and refused initially to take a firmware
update, and routers that occasionally flake out and need to have their
firmware refreshed.  I also pointed out this quote from the Kingston
website, which someone else linked to:

<quote on>

Flash storage devices are not infallible and can have their data damaged
due to factors mentioned above. It is important to backup important
information on multiple media or even print them on paper for long-term
storage. Do not store important data solely on Flash storage devices.

<quote off>

Now, it was pointed out that memory sticks and SSD's are not exactly the
same.  But, they are very similar technologies.  SSD's are all the rage
now, and almost everybody in the technical community is going nuts over
them, adopting them like crazy, and replacing boot drives everywhere.
It is my feeling that these devices do not have the long term
reliability that we've come to expect from HDD's.  And, of course, HDD's
are not exceedingly reliable.  However, some HDD's can and do last 5 -
10 years when properly maintained.  I am concerned that SSD's are are
being adopted so rapidly, sometimes for mission critical applications.
In a non mission critical situation, even if family photos and such are
not mission critical, it's still very very emotionally wrenching when
they're lost.  Now, I'm sure almost everyone reading this would agree
that routine on site and off site backups are a good idea.  However,
since we're all human, I'd bet some of you don't always do the backups
as often as you should.  I know I'm guilty.  I'll also bet that most of
our families and friends outside of this group hardly backup at all, if
at all.

So, my question to the group is this:

If you don't have an SSD, do you want or intend to get one to replace a
primary HDD?

If you get one, or if you have one, do you feel that your data on that
device is in more danger and is more fragile than it would be on a HDD?

I might be inclined to get an SSD if I had the money.  However, at this
point, I have fairly serious misgivings about the long term reliability
of the technology.

Sincerely,

Ron