[ale] Fedora 15

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed May 25 22:58:19 EDT 2011

One major improvement is the quantity and quality of the rpm repo mirrors.
Early yum days you were tied to the specific repo you first connected to.
Many were run as volunteer projects on donated equipment using minimal data
rate feed lines.

These days, the Fedora  repo mirrors are way faster and more stable and
often run by professionals or semi-pros with a vested interest in the repo
being live and current.

There are some serious differences in the package metadata between rpm and
deb. The major difference in in philosophy. RPM was designed from the
beginning to be usable at the large-scale deployment level, i.e. enterprise
scale. Debian's deb was designed to make single user system admin happy.
Different itch, different scratch.

With the rpm process from RedHat (and Fedora; not sure about SuSE and
Mandriva), I can get a "master copy" of the rpm data for a given release
that includes the md5sum of every package and config file as shipped from
the source distro. With this data (which can be secured offline), I can
verify if any binary has been changed or what config files are modified from
the original shipped version. Additionally, I have access to the as designed
file perms, original owner and group and the selinux data. I can track back
every binary and every config file to the package that installed it and
verify the binary is unchanged from the installation version that was crypto
signed with a gpg key I can verify.

Yum lets me handle the process of all dependencies nearly automagically.
Yes, it sometimes horks on a missing dependency and that is almost always
due to a mirror sync issue. Wait a few minutes (an hour is usually fine) and
try again. Sometimes a package is built using the wrong libs (very rare now
that koji is a happening thing!) and the flag --skip-broken will solve yum
update issues.

Lastly, there is now a solid communication  process between the major third
party repo rpm-fusion and fedora. On the day of F15 release, rpm-fusion had
all the "usual suspects" for the non-redistributable rpm's ready to roll at
the same time. So updates from F14 to F15 "JustWorked TM".

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky*