[ale] Fedora 15

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu May 26 08:42:50 EDT 2011

"Michael B. Trausch" <mike at trausch.us> writes:

> On 05/25/2011 11:47 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>     I find it odd that you had such major problems so quickly, considering
>     F15 was just released yesterday.  If you were using a F15 pre-release,
>     well, that could certainly be the explanation of your issues.
>
>     As for the package manager being slow, I think it's just a perception
>     thing.  It also depends on your network connection.  I've found apt to
>     be slow at times, too.  It all depends what needs to be done, and how
>     recently you've run it.
>
>     I plan to install F15 today once my new hard drive arrives.
>
> I installed it a couple of weeks ago, but I wound up removing it yesterday
> because I was still having some troubles with it.  I'll admit to part of my
> troubles being a lack of familiarity with the packaging system—I feel "at
> home" with dpkg and APT.  I can use rpm alright, but this yum thing is just
> slow.  It seems to take forever for the "resolving dependencies" step, and I
> had a problem where it couldn't resolve dependencies.  I've had problems with
> RPM-based distributions failing to resolve dependencies as far back as the
> first Red Hat (version 5.2 from the 90s) that I had ever installed.  My
> understanding then was that it was a repository issue of some sort.  But the
> thing is that I've never had such a problem with APT: it has always resolved
> dependencies correctly, but if a dependency is unavailable, it will say "I
> cannot install package foo because the package isn't in the repository" and
> trying 30 minutes later usually yields success.

Resolving deps in RPM has been a PITA until the advent of yum.  Keep in
mind that "dpkg" doesn't do dependency tracking, either.  You need to
use "apt".  Basically:  yum:rpm :: apt:dpkg

Yum didn't exist in RH 5.2.  In fact, I don't recall yum until Fedora
Core 1.  Yes, back then dependency tracking was a nightmare and you had
to manually figure it all out.  Nowadays it all just works.  At least
I've never had a problem in a long long time (except when the repo was
out of date, but again just wait a bit for it to resync and then you're
fine).

>     --- Mike

-derek