[ale] GIT Gui Linux & Windows

Fri Mar 25 16:54:04 EDT 2011

Some of the UI developers at my company researched all of the git GUI
options and settled on SmartGit.
http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/index.htmlThey have been pretty happy
with it. I find modern version control systems
to be way too complex to be interfaced with a GUI. I can't handle a
gazillion checkboxes, radio buttons and dropdowns. I like that I can mix and
match options on the command line and then add the ones that work to a text
document for my own record. It would take dozens of screen shots to serve as
my reminder of how to use the GUI. No thank you. GUIs are for web browsing
and photo/video editing only.

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 4:26 PM, James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com>wrote:

> One of the reasons I opted to switch to Mercurial from Subversion
> instead to Git is a lack of Windows and OS X support (by Git). So I
> don't think you are going to find much in the way of Git GUIs for
> Windows. However, it looks like there is a Tortoise project that is
> active[1]. I'm sure you can find a greater selection of GUIs for
> Linux. [2] lists a couple.
>
> I use TortoiseHg on my Windows machines. I find it works quite well,
> but there are still times where I drop down to the CLI. If you use a
> graphical IDE, you might also find it includes support for Git. I use
> NetBeans for the Java work I have to do and it has decent support for
> Mercurial (since I don't use Git I can't speak to its support for that
> VCS).
>
> [1] -- http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/
> [2] -- http://git-scm.com/tools
>
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 12:30 PM, Brandon Colbert
> <colbert.brandon at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Just polling here to see which GIT GUI application people are using? I
> don't
> > mind the command line, but we have some dev guys who like the GUI apps.
>

> --
> James Sumners
> http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/
>
> "All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts
> pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it
> is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become
> drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted."
>
> Missionaria Protectiva, Text QIV (decto)
> CH:D 59

.!# RichardBronosky #!.