[ale] How do people deal with RHEL?

Don Lachlan ale-at-ale.org at unpopularminds.org
Thu Mar 24 17:07:53 EDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 3:19 PM, James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com> wrote:
> Where? All I have read is people telling me to stop using an old
> version, or that because _they_ don't use the package then Red Hat
> shouldn't include it, or people answering a question that wasn't even
> asked ("how do I install this when it isn't in the main repo?").

You asked how we deal with RHEL, specifically "[desired package] isn't
in the main repo". We answered that in a few different ways and you
didn't like any of them.

> Well that's not entirely true. You did state the same frustration with
> other distributions and that you just give up and look for a third
> party repo when you get frustrated.

Not true. It frustrates YOU. It didn't/doesn't frustrate ME. It's just
The Way Things Are for a distro where the vendor wants a small
selection of "supported" software. It's a trade-off.

> I wasn't really trying to start a thread where I get help
> administering the system. I was venting frustration, and thought maybe
> some others would join in with their own

*shrug*

Generally, engineers/geeks want to fix things. I, and many others,
read it as you asking for help. We tried to help and you rebuffed us,
complaining that it should just work the way you want it to work.
We've told you why it won't. Accept it or don't.

But if you want to learn how others deal with admin'ing RHEL, we threw
out a bunch of resources in this thread that should make things less
frustrating. I hope you find them of some use.

-L