[ale] User-specific software installation. ~/bin vs ~/.local/bin vs ??

Sparr sparr0 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 13:49:50 EDT 2011

When you install software specific to your user (as many third party
game installers want to do by default, and many `make` processes are
capable of doing if so instructed), where do you put it? I have an
entire root hierarchy in ~/.local (that is, ~/.local/bin ~/.local/var
~/.local/usr ~/.local/etc etc) that I let such things install to. I've
encountered other people who simply have ~/bin ~/etc ~/opt etc. Are
there other schemes? Are there any standards on this matter?