[ale] [OT] (slightly) Value Free Speech and Fair Use? Join and support the EFF!

arxaaron arxaaron at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 14:06:33 EDT 2011

On 2011/06/27, at 13:00 , Derek Atkins wrote:

> Aaron Ruscetta <arxaaron at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> A nice endorsement of EFF from a regular column in the
>> Chronicle of Higher Education:
>>
>> <http://tinyurl.com/profhacker4eff>
>> <http://preview.tinyurl.com/profhacker4eff>
>>
>> EFF is our strongest voice for defending our civil liberties in the
>> courts of the U.S. legal system. It's an uphill battle though,
>> because
>> for more than 25 years the rabid rapist right wing has politically
>> blockaded judicial appointments wherever the candidate had
>> a history of defending the U.S. Constitution and the civil liberties
>> of citizens against corporate greed, corruption and abuse.
>
> Eroding of civil liberties is not limited to just the right wing.
> We've
> seen erosions under Clinton and Obama, as much as we've seen erosions
> under Bush.  I think the erosion is more a factor of the "have power,
> want more power" than about which side of the aisle the leader comes
> from.

Looking at the record, it seems the blanket political strategy of
blocking
judicial appointments until vacancies can be filled by some corporate
whore has been fairly exclusive to the rabid right wing going back to
Nixon.
The obstructionism has allowed the radical right to effectively stack
our
courts with their extremist ideologues, from the federal circuits to the
5 Supreme Injustices currently shredding the constitution in our highest
court.

peace
aaron