[ale] svideo recorder to hard disk

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Sun Jun 26 21:12:18 EDT 2011

On 06/26/2011 05:25 PM, Narahari 'n' Savitha wrote:
> Thanks for replying back and for your time.

No problem.

<snip>

> Yes it is coming form the source.  I am thinking of purchasing
> http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-TCD649080-80-Hour-Digital-Recorder/dp/B000ER5G58/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
>
> Only concern is, once recording sits on the TIVO, (yes it is ethernet
> enabled) how to rsync it to the HTPC upstairs so I can play on the
> BigTV.  Can Linux see the files on the TIVO device ?
>
> This is another device
> *http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/ele/2398078352.html without svideo
> in.  So thinking what to do.*

I don't think you want a TiVo if you aren't already familiar with it.
That was a shot in the dark and probably a bad idea. TiVo has DRM and
there will be other issues with the file format that are best avoided.
Do you have anyway to convert a .TiVo file into something you can play
on a different device or even a PC? Can you pull a video file from the
TiVo without having a monthly charge to TiVo? I shouldn't have even
mentioned it. Sorry.

There are well known solutions for
* Recording video game output (not the same as recording TV)
* Recording TV (OTA, QAM and ClearQAM)
* Recording online video (like hulu)
* Recording screens for presentations

Did google not provide a good answer?  Some of those have specialized
solutions to achieve good results. Recording video games is one of those
that has a specialized solution - probably beyond your budget.

Again, sorry about the tivo idea.