[ale] Virtualization recommendations

Edward Holcroft eholcroft at mkainc.com
Tue Jun 14 10:08:23 EDT 2011

I use VMWare ESXI free version to host an Asterisk (Elastix) box. Only thing
about ESXi that really sucks is the Windows-only client. On the pro side,
ESXi is very easy to set up and robust as anything.

As for timing issues running Asterisk as a VM - I heard this warning when I
first tried it but have not encountered any issues - maybe that's 'cos we
have a small setup here, only 24 extensions. It's been running like that for
over a year now without any problems.

ed

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 13:37, Greg Clifton <gccfof5 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Along the lines of John Heim's OP, I am also interested in "dipping my toe"
> into virtualization for the first time. I have a Dell SC440 system with
> Core2Duo CPU, so I have hardware virt support. What I would like to do is
> set up a NAS with FreeNAS and a PBXIF Asterisk instances on this machine. My
> question is should I use KVM, ZEN, ProxMox, etc? What is easiest to set
> up/administer? What is most reliable? Recommendations appreciated.
>
> Greg Clifton

Edward Holcroft
Madsen Kneppers & Associates Inc.
3020 Holcomb Bridge Rd. NW
Norcross, GA
30071
Tel (770) 446-9606
GoogleVoice (678) 587-8649

WARNING/CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:This message may be confidential and/or
privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender
immediately then delete it - you should not copy or use it for any purpose
or disclose its content to any other person. Internet communications are not
secure. You should scan this message and any attachments for viruses. Any
unauthorized use or interception of this e-mail is illegal.