[ale] Hey Shapiro! New use for that 3D printer!

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jun 7 11:37:10 EDT 2011

Jeff Hubbs <jhubbslist at att.net> writes:

> A commenter mentioned "high security locksets like Medeco" - many years
> ago I had a Medeco key and its value-add was that the notches were cut
> at an angle.  A 3D printer could reproduce that with no additional
> difficulty as long as you had a way to transcribe the original key
> sufficiently.
>
> As for the carved material being too weak, well, take your printed piece
> to Lowe's and have them reproduce a metal copy for you...

This only works if Lowes can actually get the key blanks.  Some blanks
are "restricted" and Lowes (or Home Depot) wont have them.  This is
generally true for Medeco locks in general.  It can be very hard to find
a Medeco blank for certain Medeco locks.

-derek