[ale] gnome3. I give up.

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 10:52:55 EDT 2011

QT is pretty kewl! The joining of python and QT is very easy and powerful.
My one regret is that QT was originally not an opensource toolset and that
led to the gnome world. Gnome had a "bigger idea" set than KDE but
because/"in spite of" it using nearly anything that runs and a gui toolkit
API (GTK looks just fine as does QT and Wx. They all look better than
anything java!) gnome is now quite a hodgepodge of code spaghetti (gnome 3
was supposed to do some massive clean up but I think they got lost along the
way and went all tablet happy).

So far, neither KDE nor Gnome have fulfilled their big picture promise to my
satisfaction. Seamless integration of applications is a long way off.
Sharing a mouse cut-n-paste buffer is just not enough.

At one point, the gnome plan was to be able to send data to someone who
didn't have the application to read/play it and gnome was going to be able
to use the senders desktop ability to render the data into sound and graphic
bit and stream them back to the receiver regardless of their current
platform. Security was to handled by a combination of kerberos and user
tokens to allow access to the required applications for the sole purpose of
using that access for that data set only. But instead they got bogged down
making widgets that are still half finished as well as a brand, Ximian, that
used a fornicating monkey as their mascot and inter-process communication
daemon, bonobo before latching onto the C# dotnet crap.

ADHD is truly a pandemic in the IT world and Linux-land in particular!

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 9:49 AM, Charles Shapiro <hooterpincher at gmail.com>wrote:

> Still a big phan of KDE4 here.  And of course XFCE for that Old
> Hardware.  Bloat is a relative term in today's hardware environment.
>
> I'm really curious about what'll happen to QT after Nokia has
> essentially dropped it.  I'd love to see QT become the linux desktop
> interface library of choice.  I've used it on a fairly big C++ project
> and really liked it.  I found the API well laid-out and featureful.
>
> -- CHS
>

> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 9:00 AM, Preston Boyington
> <preston.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> > David Tomaschik wrote:

> be the correct one.  I do remember he seriously dised Gnome a few years back
> because they dumbed it all down, but somehow I can't see him using KDE4 with
> all that bloat. OTHO, many here like KDE4, bloat and all.
> >>>

> http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linus-torvalds-switched-back-to-gnome.html
> >>

> > I believe he also uses Suse (or did when I looked it up) as his distro.

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky*