[ale] A Real Sad Loss for Open Source in the Atlanta Area

Michael Potter michael at potter.name
Sat Oct 16 20:49:21 EDT 2010

I am sending this so this thread has some balance.

Here is why I prefer to use Word and Excel rather than OOo:
1) I get Word documents from my clients and I do not want to deal with
differences no matter how minor.

2) I get Excel documents with financial formulas and do not want to take a
chance that some rounding rule is different or numbers are displayed
differently.   They are also crazy about colorizing the cells to categorize
data and embedding images that I do want to take a chance is different.

3) OOo starts slower than Word and Excel.

4) I find Word help to be much more helpful.

I was a Open Office user BEFORE I migrated to Word/Excel.  Before that I
used Word Perfect.

One client is making use of OOo for some of their employees.  Specifically
in place of Excel for opening .csv files and other simple docs.  These are
document consumers, not generators.

I wish OpenOffice the best, but the only way I will start to use it is if my
clients are using it.

--
Michael Potter