[ale] A Real Sad Loss for Open Source in the Atlanta Area

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Oct 15 10:54:42 EDT 2010

"Michael B. Trausch" <mike at trausch.us> writes:

> On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 14:00 -0400, Jim Kinney wrote:
>> so another school can't figure out how to use software and M$ has the
>> solution?
>
> Pretty much.  I honestly cannot believe the thing.  People in our
> education system shouldn't be so incompetent that they cannot learn how
> to use a different program with only a slightly different user
> interface.  It just goes to show that they learn by memorization and
> regurgitation, instead of learning fundamental concepts and exploiting
> that knowledge to derive functional ability.  And that's exactly what
> they're teaching to the children.

Ah, but you just hit the nail on the head.  The users already know how
to use MS/Excel because that's what they've already been exposed to.
They don't have the time to learn something new; they need to get off
the ground running.

Let's start training our younger people in Linux and OOo and then the
next generation of workers will have a choice!

-derek