[ale] Running stuff as root == bad, was Re: FC13 question

Sat Jul 31 16:28:29 EDT 2010

While I agree with the sentiments of this message, the subject is just
plain wrong. Running *stuff* as root *is not* bad. Running
*everything* as root *is* bad. That is exactly what happens when you
log into GUI [display manager|window manager|desktop
environment|whatever] (I don't know anything about the X.org stack. I
don't use GUIs) you run *everything* as yourself. You don't want that
_yourself_ to be root. I could have sworn that back when I was doing
MythTV I used xfce or rat poison and I used a utility called Xsudo,
sudoX, or GnomeSudo. That was good for running the occational app as
sudo. I found that MythTV being graphical by nature forced me to do
this.

Sent from my mobile device

.!# RichardBronosky #!.