[ale] Running stuff as root == bad, was Re: FC13 question

scott mcbrien smcbrien at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 19:58:58 EDT 2010

One of the big problems with other OS'es is that users log in as an
account with administrative privileges.  On those OS'es, when an
application, being run by the user, runs amok (perhaps a web browser
executing badness from flash or java script?), that application runs
amok with administrative rights.  So when the application tries to
mangle system files, libraries, etc. it can because administrators
could also modify said files. That's one example of why you don't want
to log in as root, but there are many more, mostly because desktop
environments like gnome run many many many processes and helper
applications each of which, when logged in as root, is given full
administrative permission to do whatever they want on a system.

-Scott