[ale] OT: Slow response - follow up

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 22:37:38 EDT 2010

I decided to give a few other browsers a chance to see if by chance it
was Firefox. I loaded Opera, Google Chrome, and Seamonkey. Opera had no
problem, I duplicated my search on Amazon and no problem. Google Chrome
had a serious issue with the same search. Seamonkey also worked great.
After kicking it around a bit I went and deleted the 3 _CACHE_00X_ and
_CACHE_MAP_ in the profile/cache directory and restarted Firefox. Works
like a champ now, even seems faster. My guess is that I had trash in my
cache. My only concern is that from what I've been able to find, Firefox
supposedly will recreate empty files, but this hasn't happened. I do
have all my options set to zero in regards to saving anything, (cookies,
cached pages, etc. I do save my passwords) so is that why they never got
recreated?

I still may have a router issue as I pointed out that if I print to an
alternate print queue other than my default printer, I'll get network
errors to the effect of device not being connected. This doesn't happen
with the default one though.