[ale] SCO at it again

Larry Johnson larryfeltonjohnson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 09:50:20 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 9:31 AM, Lightner, Jeff <jlightner at water.com> wrote:

>   Not sure what you mean by “early supporters”.  I made my living once
> upon a time supporting hundreds of sites running SCO Unix so in that sense I
> was an “early supporter”.   SCO Unix was good product for its niche and I
> rather enjoyed working on it.   It isn’t even that surprising they tried to
> go after Linux – In the PC realm they were king when it came to *nix for a
> while and Linux while it has been ported to many platforms and devices is
> primarily used in the same area that SCO formerly competed in.   It is sad
> however, that they can’t see that they’ve lost and keep pretending that
> somehow they’ll prevail some day.
>

> The comments about being miserable in your work reminded me of my former
> life in Hospitality Accounting.   I was making good money by the time I
> became a Financial Controller and was living on site in a Caribbean hotel on
> a beautiful beach (meaning my money was tax free) but after 11 years of
> hotels I was fairly burnt out and finally quit.   That 11 years seemed like
> forever to me.   After I went into IT full time the first 11 years seemed to
> go by in a blur – enjoying your job really is important to your state of
> mind.
>

>  ------------------------------

The reason I used the name Caldera/SCO on that reference was to
differentiate between the Santa Cruz Organization and their product, and
Caldera-renamed-SCO after Caldera bought out SCO's Unix products.  I don't
think the suit had much to do with Linux's competition with the SCO
products.  I think the Dr. DOS win gave them a taste for profits through
litigation, and they decided making potential billions of dollars suing and
collecting unearned per-processor royalties seemed more attractive than
getting the stuffings kicked out of them by Red Hat in the marketplace.

As for jobs, yeah.  I've stuck around miserable work from time to time, and
in every case when I left the job thought "What in the hell was I
thinking?".  There are good reasons to be careful about choosing when to
leave a job, but there's no advantage to hanging on to a miserable job just
because it's a job.  I have the same attitude toward my freelance work.
Problem customers don't stay a problem for me for long.

Larry

--
"I see design standards that don't tell you how to come up with a good
design (only how to write it down), employee evaluation standards that don't

                                     Tom DeMarco
                                      Slack