[ale] SCO at it again

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Tue Jul 13 09:31:50 EDT 2010

Not sure what you mean by "early supporters".  I made my living once
upon a time supporting hundreds of sites running SCO Unix so in that
sense I was an "early supporter".   SCO Unix was good product for its
niche and I rather enjoyed working on it.   It isn't even that
surprising they tried to go after Linux - In the PC realm they were king
when it came to *nix for a while and Linux while it has been ported to
many platforms and devices is primarily used in the same area that SCO
formerly competed in.   It is sad however, that they can't see that
they've lost and keep pretending that somehow they'll prevail some day.

The comments about being miserable in your work reminded me of my former
life in Hospitality Accounting.   I was making good money by the time I
became a Financial Controller and was living on site in a Caribbean
hotel on a beautiful beach (meaning my money was tax free) but after 11
years of hotels I was fairly burnt out and finally quit.   That 11 years
seemed like forever to me.   After I went into IT full time the first 11
years seemed to go by in a blur - enjoying your job really is important
to your state of mind.