[ale] Server Power Reduction

Greg Clifton gccfof5 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 18:37:13 EDT 2010

Yeah, what he said. Also if you are looking at new hardware, not just trying
to cut down the footprint of existing machines, the Intel Nehalem family
(5500 and 5600 series Xeons for single or dual socket with 2, 4 or 6 cores
per proc and Core i5 or i7 for uni processor). The Nehalem architecture
features something that AMD does not have, "Speed Step and Turbo Boost," as
I recall, that allows the CPU to actually turn off all but one core
depending on the load and automatically over-clock said core so long as the
CPU remains within the thermal envelope. AMD's new stuff throttles based on
load (which Intel's previously didn't) and I think also based on core temp
as Intel's have for years. Do NOT buy any Intel Xeon 5400 series product as
these require FB DIMM memory with ~ a 5W penalty per DIMM module for the
buffer in addition to the power consumption of the RAM itself.

A minor consideration would be using DDR3 RAM as required by the Intel
Nehalem and the AMD 6000 series (8 or 12 cores per CPU) and their new 4000
series (6 cores), it runs at lower voltage and overall power consumption
than DDR2. AMD is promoting the 4000 series for the lowest wattage per core
on the planet. They have a 6 core that runs at 35W if memory serves so that
works out to 7W per core. Take that Adam!

One other item that might be more significant than the RAM  would be to use
2.5" drives vs. 3.5" drives. They come in capacities up to 1TB now and run
much cooler and are inherently more rugged (and designed to power up and
down in the notebook world to save battery power). If you need lots of
storage, we have 2U chassis w/ up to 24 of them and a 4U chassis with 48x
2.5" bays.

Oh, and speaking of water cooling, I just saw a headline today or yesterday
regarding IBM announcing a water cooled system. I didn't read the article,
but I think it was with PPC 7 chips.

GC