[ale] Server Power Reduction

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 18:05:46 EDT 2010

Disk spin down is a big power saver but drive lifespan is a function of
spinups. It's a nasty tradeoff.

Cooling is a HUGE expense. Systems run fine with ambient air at 90F. Moving
air is cheaper than cooling air. So large fans and higher flow with warmer
intake temps will lower power bills.

Hmm. With liquid cooling and a large heat-sink reservoir, it would be easy
to soak up excess heat during the hot day into the heat sink and then
exhausting the heat during the cooler night without the use of compressors -
just water pumps and large radiators and maybe evaporative cooling with
water.

Shift to HE Opteron systems as they have better performance/watt numbers.

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 5:44 PM, Jeff Hubbs <jhubbslist at att.net> wrote:

>  What hardware/software features do I need to look for with respect to
> reducing the amount of electric power a Linux server requires (beyond
> n.-s.-Sherlocks like fewer cores/drives/DIMMs)?  I'm talking about
> things like clock speed control - perhaps even disk spin-down (unless I
> go SSDs).
>
> - Jeff

James P. Kinney III
Doing pretty well on all 3 pursuits

 Faith is a cop-out. If the only way you can accept an assertion is by
faith, then you are conceding that it can’t be taken on its own merits.
   Dan Barker, "Losing Faith in Faith", 1992