[ale] ubuntu linux 10.04 sound problems with a gateway M320 laptop

Van Loggins vanloggins at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 17:54:06 EDT 2010

Happy 4th of July to everyone.

This is the same laptop I was having video problems with a while back.

I hadn't noticed until now, but the onboard sound doesn't seem to be
working for me under ubuntu 10.04 it acts like it's working but it
doesn't play any sound, the system reports that the sound card as a
digital stereo (IEC958)

OK I was working with it while writing this up and I've figured out how
to get it to work at least until the system is rebooted.

in order to get sound I had to install gnome-alsamixer, and then uncheck
the external amplifier checkbox.

I'm trying to figure out how to make this setting change permanent. I
tried alsactl store but that didn't work.

so for now I'm having to manually run gnome-alsamixer and uncheck the
external amplifier box each time the system is restarted.

does anyone know how to make this setting change permanent?

thanks for your input.

Van

--
Van Loggins, A+