[ale] Docsis 3 Modem Recommendations

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Sat Dec 25 00:38:13 EST 2010

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Greg Clifton <gccfof5 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Making the switch from AT&T DSL to Comcast "way faster than DSL" service
> next week. Have a Linksys BEFCMU10 ver 2 which according to online specs is
> docsis 1  upgradable to docsis 1.1. Instead of paying $5.00/mo for whatever
> they provide I thought I would buy a better one. So I am soliciting docsis 3
> Modem recommendations. Best price I have seen so far on NewEgg and Amazon is
> MOTOROLA SB6120 for 77.78 w/ free shipping. The question is, is there any
> significance in quality/durability between different brands?

As far as standalone modems go, I have always had good luck with Motorola.

Note that if you use Business Class service from Comcast, you will not be
able to supply your own modem.  (At least not easily; I have not yet found
the appropriate hoops to jump through to make it happen.)  If you're going
to go that route, make bloody sure that you get the DOCSIS 3 modem even if
the network in your region has not yet been upgraded (I don't know if they
have done all of the metro area yet, either).  The reason that I say that is
because the DOCSIS 2 devices that they use for business class customers
frankly suck balls.  I've yet to encounter problems with the DOCSIS 3 model.
 They use devices from SMC that are both cable modems and consumer-grade
routers rolled into a single device.

Honestly, what I would prefer if I could manage to find it would be an
internal DOCSIS 3 modem.  I *really* hate the external modem; it takes
another friggin plug, when it could simply use the power from the computer,
and it means more wires where there needn't be any, and it means that I
don't have complete and total control of my bloody network.  But I'm
probably just being anal retentive here.

    --- Mike