[ale] Streaming players [WAS: Streaming video for Linux?]

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 10:17:18 EST 2010

Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On 11/30/2010 09:18 PM, George Carless wrote:
>> To be honest, I've not yet had a chance to put the Roku through its
>> paces...
>> however, from everything I've read it's a
>> nifty little media box that will play netflix and a variety of other
>> 'apps', including Hulu plus
 >
> ah, the catch here, and another reason I was thinking Wii.. from the
> Roku page:
> No PC needed.
>
> Roku connects to your high-speed Internet connection wirelessly.

<snipped>

I'd looked at the Boxee Box fairly seriously, but don't think the design
(nor price) of the first generation unit fits my current setup.

instead I ordered myself a Roku XDS Player with the XDS Cable Value Pack
(there's a special cable needed for composite out with this unit) and
got confirmation that it's on the way.  my reading says that in a
January update I'll be able to play my MKV movies off my local network,
so that's when I decided to give it a go.

now I'm searching around to see if there is a better deal/coupon for the
Hulu Plus & Netflix (anyone seen this?).