[ale] Debian and wireless

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Thu Dec 16 19:13:46 EST 2010

On 12/16/2010 12:36 PM, jimbutler1234567890 at gmail.com wrote:
> I put Debian 5, 64bit version on my laptop . I prefer Debian and want to use it. My problem is that I don't know what packages I need to install in order to get the wireless to work. I know my wireless devices on this machine work with Linux because they work fine under Knoppix. What packages do I need to install?? Should the kernel configuration already be fine the way it is, or do I need to configure and re-compile it to make all of my wireless networking operate correctly?
> I want it to see th SSIDs that are broadcast, etc.

We need to know what kind of wireless network card you have. If you post
the output of the following commands, that should help us determine what
it is and what state it's in.

lspci
lsusb
iwconfig
grep -i firmware /var/log/messages*

Also, what desktop environment did you install on Debian? GNOME? KDE?
Something else?

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts